Skip to main content

Undocumented Student Questions

Can an undocumented student apply to graduate programs?

Yes! Undocumented students can apply to be considered for admission.

Do I need to have work authorization?

You do not need have work authorization to be considered for admission, but you must keep in mind that financial aid is limited, and most graduate students have to work to cover the costs of their program. Not having work authorization may limit the options you have to cover the costs associated with your program.

Do I need to be a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipient?

No, you do not need to be a DACA recipient to be considered for admission.

Is financial aid available for undocumented students?

Yes. Undocumented students should submit a CA Dream Act Application, talk with their graduate program, and contact Undocumented Student Services for available financial aid options.

Is my information safe with UC San Diego?

UC San Diego is committed to maintaining the highest standards of student data privacy through its implementation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the UC Principles in Support of Undocumented Members of the UC Community. Learn more with our Undocumented Student Guide.

How can I apply to UC San Diego with an undocumented status?

Undocumented students that wish to apply to UC San Diego can begin filling out an application with our application system. When completing residency information, select your original country of birth and select 'AP - Approved Petition' as your visa type.