Skip to main content

International Student Application Requirements

Academic Records and Transcripts Guidelines

For application review purposes (only), scan and upload copies of transcripts for all institutions attended after high school. In the online application, you will be prompted to upload a PDF of your scanned documents. Please upload both the front and back sides of the transcript, even if the back side is blank.

Uploaded transcripts should be recent and include the following: your name, the institution name, dates of attendance, grades/marks received, credits, and grading legend. If no transcript is available, please upload a statement explaining the circumstances.

A WES Course-by-Course ICAP Evaluation is required for all admitted applicants who have earned a degree(s) from an institution(s) outside of the United States. Details are below. 

Upon Provisional Admission to UC San Diego

All admitted applicants who have earned a degree(s) from an institution(s) outside of the United States are required to complete and submit a WES Course-by-Course ICAP evaluation for each degree earned. Please go to to create your account. You will be prompted to input your academic history, and will then be provided with a list of documents required for the completion of your evaluation. Applicants with academic work in progress who expect to complete a degree program before the intended date of enrollment at UCSD must provide evidence of degree conferral and a final academic transcript as soon as they are available. Instructions on how to select the Graduate Admissions office correctly as the recipient for your WES evaluation are posted here.

Please do not send official documents to the Graduate Admissions Office. You must submit a WES Course-by-Course ICAP evaluation via WES once you have been admitted for your admission to UC San Diego to be finalized. 

Foreign academic records must show all courses attended each year, examinations passed, seminars completed, and grades or marks received at all institutions where formal records are maintained. Official evidence of degree conferral must also be supplied, together with evidence of rank in class if available.

Official academic records and/or transcripts may take the form of:

  • Transcripts, attestations, appendices or addenda to diplomas, or mark sheets showing courses and examinations, units or hours, and grades (rank in class, if available).
  • Diplomas, degree certificates, or professional titles showing the degree and date conferred.



Official academic records and/or transcripts must be issued in the language of instruction and accompanied by official English translations.  Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Originals issued by the university bearing the original stamp or seal and the signature of the authorized official.
  • Official copies issued by the degree granting university bearing the stamp or seal and signature of the authorized official.
  • Official literal (word for word) English translations issued by the degree granting institution.

Translations prepared by an accredited member of a translator's association, such as American Translator’s Association (ATA), are acceptable. They must be prepared from official copies of your academic records or degree certificate, in the original language. For more information and a directory of members, consult the Services Directories on the ATA website.

Credential evaluations prepared by other schools or by private agencies are not accepted. Materials noted above must be uploaded in your WES account in order to complete your required WES Course-by-Course evaluation.

International Requirements

Exam Scores

Requirement info

English Language Proficiency

Language Requirements

Visa Information

The visa application process should be started only after provisional acceptance

More Info