Skip to main content

Graduate Division Funding Opportunities

The Graduate Division funds a variety of initiatives and projects across campus in support of graduate education. Campus partners submit special funding requests via the links below. Note: funds are generally offered as partial or matching support, in partnership with Divisional Dean's Offices, Departments/Programs, or extramural agencies/organizations. The availabiliity of funds may change at any time and is not guaranteed. Graduate students seeking support for individual research projects or educational expenses should instead explore our fellowships website. Questions about funding requests can be directed to

Student Groups & Partners

Special Projects Funding

Student groups and partners can apply for special projects funding when there is alignment with the UC San Diego Strategic Plan and/or Strategic Plan for Inclusive Excellence, and direct involvement of current or prospective graduate students, while benefiting education, career development, the graduate student experience, and/or strengthening and diversifying the pipeline for graduate education and the professoriate.

Submit Request

Staff & Faculty

Graduate Fellowship Initiative (GFI)

Graduate programs/departments may apply to supplement resident tuition and fees for select extramural student-initiated graduate fellowships in order to diversify and increase the number of extramural fellowships awarded to UC San Diego graduate students.

Submit Request

San Diego Fellowship Match

When applying for extramural research grants that support graduate student researchers, Principal Investigators may request matching San Diego Fellowships from the Graduate Division to enhance the proposal and promote inclusive excellence.

Submit Request

Bridge Funding for Students with Disabilities

Graduate programs/departments, in partnership with Disability Counseling and Consulting, can apply for one-time funds to support a doctoral/MFA graduate student who is unable to perform the functions of an ASE or GSR role due to a documented medical condition (physical or mental) that interferes with their ability to work or return to work.

Submit Request

Faculty Recruitment/Retention Offer

In partnership with Divisional Dean's Offices and the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Graduate Division may offer support to increase the competitiveness of certain faculty recruitment or retention offers.

One-Time GSR Funding

Graduate programs/departments or Organized Research Units (ORUs) can apply for one-time GSR support from The Graduate Division in order to fill an unexpected gap in funding for a graduate student researcher or to seed future extramural funding applications for ORUs by hiring graduate student researchers.