Skip to main content

Job Opportunities Bulletin

Academic & Staff Titles

This resource is written to assist graduate students who are seeking employment outside of their own academic home departments. Students can be appointed to student academic positions (Teaching Assistant, Reader, Tutor, Associate or Graduate Student Researcher) by a department, group or program or employed in student staff positions which are listed by the Career Center (Student Employment Office) in the Handshake system.

Students appointed to the Teaching Assistant, Reader, Tutor and Associate titles (ASE) are under Agreement between the Regents of the University of California and the Coalition of Academic Student Employees, International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW), AFL-CIO. The Agreement, ASE title definitions, and campus wide posting of appointment opportunities is available here.

Academic Student Employees

Types of Academic Student Employment 

Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)

A GSR is a registered graduate student who performs research under the direction of a faculty member or authorized Principal Investigator.

Student Staff Titles

Graduate students can also be employed part-time on assistant titles. Departments list these jobs through the Student Employment Office, a division of the Career Center. Positions may be viewed in Handshake.
Analytical Writing Program Career Center Chemistry and Biochemistry Chinese Studies Japanese StudiesLinguistics Language Program Physics Summer Session Teaching and Learning Commons Urban Studies and Planning Writing Programs 

Need Help?

Contact the Financial Support Unit via the Student Support Portal in ServiceNow.

Submit a Ticket