Skip to main content

International Applicant Questions

Does UC San Diego give conditional admission for international students?

No. International students must meet the university’s minimum requirements which include a passing TOEFL score to be admitted. Please refer to our Admissions Policies for more information.

Does UC San Diego require international applicants to have their transcripts evaluated?

No, UC San Diego performs its own evaluation and does not accept those performed by evaluation agencies.  Likewise, UC San Diego does not accept evaluation reports as the official English translation of foreign academic records.  However, ICAP documents from WES (World Education Services) can be accepted in place of official transcripts and degree certificates.

How do I submit my documents if I earned a degree from an institution in China?

For application review purposes, scan and upload copies of transcripts.  You do not need to have your documents verified by the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). 

Please be advised that effective July 1, 2018, all admitted students who have earned degrees from institutions in China will be required to submit new documents for finalizing their admission. This is in response to the free electronic degree certification service recently implemented by CDGDC.

The new documents required for final admission are the following:

  • Final transcript in English and Chinese mailed directly to our office by the issuing institution
  • Certified Copy of Certificate of Degree in English and Chinese mailed directly to our office by the issuing institution
  • Printed copy of the CDGDC degree electronic certification report in Chinese mailed to our office by the issuing institution or the student

 Do not request your electronic degree certification report from the CDGDC until your degree has been awarded. 

Verification reports should only be sent after accepting an offer of admission. 

Please note that CDGDC verification is only required when a degree was earned at an institution in China.  It is not necessary for transfer work or study abroad done in China.  If you have transfer work from or did study abroad at a Chinese institution, you will need to submit transcripts directly from the institution upon admission.

China Qualification Verification from the CDGDC



How do I apply for a student visa?

Submit the I-20 or DS-2019 request through the iPortal. Sign on using your UC San Diego Personal ID (PID) to access the iPortal. The iPortal application will help determine what is the appropriate visa and status for you. 

If you have questions about the I-20 or DS-2019 Certificates of Eligibility please visit the International Center website.