UC San Diego SearchMenu

In Absentia Registration

  • Used if research or coursework is conducted outside the state of California during a given quarter.
  • Student to remain enrolled in full-time study with the University while paying 15 percent of the combined Educational and Registration Fees, and all the campus based fees.
  • A student who holds a fellowship, traineeship, or a research assistantship and desires to study off campus may do so under the following circumstances:
    • Master’s and graduate professional students must have completed at least one year of coursework by the time the In Absentia status would begin.
    • Academic doctoral students must have advanced to candidacy by the time the In Absentia status would begin.
    • Agree to comply with the rules and regulations governing the In Absentia Guidelines
  • Fill out and submit online form listing where the student will be studying (Be as specific as possible. For example: City, State/Country; or Name of Institution/archive and City, State/Country).
  • Must be signed by department chair and student's faculty advisor
  • Student or department must submit a separate request for each quarter.
    Eligibility is the following:
    • Up to 3 quarters for master's and graduate professional students.
    • Up to 6 quarters for academic doctoral students.
  • In Absentia FAQ (PDF)

To fill out online request form, go to In Absentia Application.