Skip to main content

Sponsored Third-Party Billing

Sponsored students are those students who are enrolled at UC San Diego, and require UCSD to bill an outside agency (public or private sector sponsor including: military agency, educational institution, and international embassy) for tuition and fees.

Agency payments made directly to a student, or reimbursements to a student, are not considered third-party agreements.

The Graduate Division prepares and sends bills for tuition and fees, maintains agency and graduate student third-party accounts, and handles all correspondence regarding third-party agreements. 

Important Information: As a student with a third-party agreement, you are responsible for providing Graduate Division with the third-party authorization or government training voucher before the payment due date.  (For the payment schedule by quarter, please see Enrollment & Registration Calendar.)  In addition, you must ensure that any remaining balance not covered by your sponsor is paid (by either you and/or your home department) by the appropriate deadline.  If you personally owe a portion of the balance due on your TritonLink account, please visit the Student Business Services webpage at

Payment not made by the appropriate deadline will be subject to Enrollment and Registration Late Fees up to $100.00.

The third-party authorization may be faxed to 858-534-4304, e-mailed to, submitted in person or mailed to:

University of California, San Diego
Graduate Division
Attn: Financial Support Unit
Student Services Center
9500 Gilman Drive #0003

La Jolla, CA  92093-0003

There is no standard third-party authorization form. For example, some agencies provide a letter on business letterhead stating what they are willing to pay.  Others may provide a formal contract.  Regardless of the format, all authorizations are considered contractual agreements, and the following information must be included in order to for the request to be processed:

  • Student's name
  • Student's account number (University PID)
  • Specific charges and academic quarters the sponsor will pay. (Note: Graduate Division will not bill your agency for books, parking, application fees, or late fees.)
  • Agency billing address
  • Name, signature and contact information of person authorizing the contract
  • Purchase order number (for government contracts)

A credit should appear on your student account shortly following Graduate Division’s receipt of the contract.  The credit indicates that Graduate Division has advanced payment on your behalf in anticipation of the receipt of funds from your sponsoring agency.  The credit on your account does not mean that the University has received the actual payment.

An agency with a past due balance may have its billing privileges terminated.  Students should be aware that they are ultimately responsible for any defaults in payments by the sponsoring agency.

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS-Financial Guarantee Letters supplied for Admission purposes are not acceptable for third-party billing purposes.

Tuition rates are available in the Tuition & Fee tab.

Payment Instructions for Sponsoring Agencies