Skip to main content

Financial Support FAQ

What are the funding options for graduate students?

More than 60% of all students in state supported programs at UC San Diego receive financial support.

Financial Aid

UC San Diego graduate students may apply for need-based aid by completing a Free Application for Federal student Aid (FAFSA). Need-based aid is administered through the Financial Aid Office, not the Graduate Division:

Fellowships and Awards

Fellowships are generally merit-based awards that provide a stipend and tuition assistance to graduate students. Additional financial support and eligibility requirements may vary by award.

Academic Employment Opportunities

Financial support may be awarded through academic appointment of assistantships. These awards, generally administered by discipline and department, may grant a stipend and tuition payment for providing assistance in teaching and/or research support.

How does a student sign up for direct deposit?

Types of Direct Deposit for Students:

There are 3 offices on campus that provide direct deposit for graduate students:
  1. Student Business Services (stipend payments for domestic students)
  2. Payroll (TA and GSR employment checks)
  3. (travel and other personal reimbursement)

Stipend Payments for International Students:

  • If an international student has a current PPS appointment (GSR, TA, etc.), the stipend payment will be issued according to the direct deposit information in PPS.
  • If the student does not have a current PPS appointment at the time the title code 3296 appointment is created in PPS, the stipend payment will be issued according to the direct deposit information in Disbursements.
  • To be on the safe side, an international student may want to sign up for both:

Please ensure that your student has completed the correct direct deposit request in order to expedite the receipt of funds.

May a part-time graduate student receive financial support?

Academic Employment - Graduate students must be registered in a minimum of 12 units of upper-division and graduate-level work each quarter to be employed at greater than 25% time during the academic year. Students registered in fewer than 12 units are eligible for 25% time appointments upon department approval. See:

Fellowships and Traineeships - Awardees must register in a minimum of 12 units of upper-division and graduate-level work each quarter. See:

All graduate students who receive financial support must be in good academic standing as defined under the Standards of Scholarship in the General Catalog. See:

A request to the Dean of the Graduate Division for an exception to policy must be endorsed by the student’s advisor and department/program chair. Any payment that is an exception to policy must be pre-approved.

For questions regarding need-based aid eligibility, please contact Financial Aid:

Can a student who defended in Spring be paid during the summer?

A US Citizen or Permanent Resident who receives a terminal degree, and is eligible for support, can be supported through the quarter-break after graduation provided the student continues to be actively engaged in graduate student research.  The summer is considered to be the quarter-break after spring quarter.

An international student (F-1 or J-1 visa) can only be supported through the quarter date of graduation. Contact the International Center for additional information.

Can a student who was on a leave of absence during Spring be paid during the summer?

A student on leave during spring may be supported as a graduate student during summer provided the student is eligible for support, actively engaged in graduate student research and enrolled for the following fall quarter.

Where can a student find their support time limit (SUTL)?

Students can access this information on the Graduate Division Student Portal.  Single-Sign on is required.