UC San Diego SearchMenu

Academic Records and Transcripts

For application review purposes (only), scan and upload copies of transcripts for all institutions attended after high school.* In the online application, you will be prompted to upload a PDF of your scanned documents. Please upload both the front and back sides of the transcript, even if the back side is blank.. Uploaded transcripts should be recent and include the following: your name, the institution name, dates of attendance, grades/marks received, credits, and grading legend.  If no transcript is available, please upload a statement explaining the circumstances.

*Do not mail hard copies until provisionally admitted

Upon provisional admission to UC San Diego, official records (transcripts and diplomas) bearing the signature of the registrar or other responsible academic officer and the seal of the issuing institution, are required from all institutions attended since high school. All official international transcripts, evaluations, mark sheets, diplomas, degree certificates, and translations must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions office in a school-sealed envelope. Documents will not be accepted if opened or sealed by the student. Applicants with academic work in progress who expect to complete a degree program before the intended date of enrollment at UCSD must provide evidence of degree conferral and a final academic transcript as soon as they are available.

If your academic record cannot be replaced, obtain a properly certified copy. Keep the original for yourself.  Do not send a document that cannot be replaced; submitted records become the property of the University, and we cannot return them to you.

By the time enrollment begins, successful applicants must hold a bachelor's degree or the equivalent from an accredited institution in the United States or from a recognized university-level academic institution abroad. Completed coursework for both domestic and international applicants must demonstrate the equivalent of at least a B average in the United States.Some exceptional applicants with lower GPAs may be recommended for admission. Contact your department of interest for more information. 

Foreign academic records must show all courses attended each year, examinations passed, seminars completed, and grades or marks received at all institutions where formal records are maintained. Official evidence of degree conferral must also be supplied, together with evidence of rank in class if available.

Official academic records and/or transcripts may take the form of:

  • Transcripts, attestations, appendices or addenda to diplomas, or mark sheets showing courses and examinations, units or hours, and grades (rank in class, if available).
  • Diplomas, degree certificates, or professional titles showing the degree and date conferred.

UC San Diego accepts WES (World Education Services) ICAP evaluations. WES ICAPs are optional, but we accept them as verification of document authenticity. If you have had your evaluation sent to UC San Diego, you will still need to upload either the ICAP evaluation or copies of your transcripts to the application for review purposes.


Official academic records and/or transcripts must be issued in the language of instruction and accompanied by official English translations. Upon admission to UC San Diego all documents, such as copies of original transcript/diploma and official English translations, must be submitted in sealed envelopes from the school or translation service. Acceptable documentation includes:

  • Originals issued by the university bearing the original stamp or seal and the signature of the authorized official.
  • Official copies issued by the degree granting university bearing the stamp or seal and signature of the authorized official.
  • Official literal (word for word) English translations issued by the degree granting institution.

Translations prepared by an accredited member of a translator's association, such as American Translator’s Association (ATA), are acceptable. They must be prepared from official copies of your academic records or degree certificate, in the original language. For more information and a directory of members, consult the Services Directories on the ATA website.

Credential evaluations prepared by other schools or by private agencies are not accepted.

Chinese Institutions

For application review purposes, scan and upload copies of transcripts.  You do not need to have your documents verified by the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC). 

ADMITTED students who have earned degrees from universities in China do not need to provide to the Office of Graduate Admissions official copies of transcripts and degree certificates for final admission.  Instead, these students must submit verification reports in English from the China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC).

CDGDC Verification Report of Final Transcript (in English) - Submit transcripts in English to the CDGDC, for verification of authenticity. The verification report and transcripts must be in English.

CDGDC Verification Report of Certificate (in English) - Submit the government-issued degree certificates in Chinese to the CDGDC, for verification of authenticity. The verification report must be in English.

All verification reports must be received by UC San Diego directly from the CDGDC in order to be considered official. 

Do not request your verification report from the CDGDC until your degree has been awarded. 

Verification reports should only be sent after accepting an offer of admission. 

Please note that CDGDC verification is only required when a degree was earned at a Chinese institution.  It is not necessary for transfer work or study abroad done in China.  If you have transfer work from or did study abroad at a Chinese institution, you will need to submit transcripts directly from the institution upon admission.

China Qualification Verification from the CDGDC

Chinese: http://cqv.chinadegrees.cn/cn/

English: http://www.chinadegrees.cn/en/

International Application Requirements