UC San Diego SearchMenu

Education Abroad Program

EAP is a system-wide program which permits UCSD students to study abroad at host institutions and for foreign students at UC Study Centers to attend UC campuses for one-year of non-degree study.

UCSD graduate students seeking to study abroad through EAP need to consult the EAP office in the International Center. Permission to participate in the EAP program is granted by the home department and the Dean of Graduate Studies. Prior to departure, the student must have completed one year of graduate work and be in good academic standing.

Applications for admission to UCSD from EAP students are forwarded by the UC EAP office and to Graduate Admissions. Departments should forward any application received directly from the EAP office to the Graduate Admissions in its entirety.

EAP students are not permitted to stay beyond one year.

In exceptional cases, the Dean of Graduate Studies may approve requests for admission to a Masters or PhD degree program. In these cases, the student's application must be considered in competition with other students seeking admission for the same quarter of status change. If the student is approved to change status during or after the EAP year, all fees for that EAP year must be repaid to UCSD.

If approved to change to a Doctoral level, the doctoral time limits will begin accruing with the student's first quarter of registration at UCSD.