Filing Deadlines and Participation in Commencement
Filing between Quarters (General Petition)
- Students will pay a filing fee if completing between quarters.
- Degree will be conferred at the end of the following quarter.
The deadlines for filing dissertations and theses is on the Friday before the last day of Fall and Winter quarters, and one week earlier for Spring quarter and to have your name printed in the commencement booklet. Students seeking to meet this deadline must have a preliminary appointment for a formatting check prior to their final appointment and submission of the dissertation with Graduate Division. The deadline to file for a summer degree is usually the first Friday in September.
Filing Fee (General Petition)
- A student on an approved leave of absence who has completed all requirements except the final defense of the dissertation or thesis or taking of the final examination, may petition to pay a filing fee (one half of the Student Services Fee) in lieu of full registration fees.
- Cashier validated petition must be submitted with student's Final Report form.
Participation in Commencement
UCSD conducts one commencement ceremony each year at the end of Spring quarter. Only students who have completed ALL degree requirements, including filing of the thesis or dissertation, may participate in commencement.
This can be problematic for masters degree recipients who need to complete Spring coursework for award of the degree. For those students, Graduate Division needs department verification of successfully completed coursework before they can be cleared to participate. Late filing of master's advancement to candidacy forms may jeopardize a student's commencement participation; for this reason, it is especially important to file master's advancement to candidacy forms NO LATER THAN THE SECOND WEEK OF THE QUARTER.
- Students completing terminal degrees during the Summer and who were enrolled in the previous Spring quarter do not pay any additional fees but must file a General Petition to waive registration between quarters.
- Students completing terminal degrees during the Summer who were on leave of absence in the previous Spring quarter will pay the filing fee for completion and will also need to file a General Petition to complete between quarters.
- Continuing Ph.D. students who complete a master's degree during the Summer will have the degree awarded in the Fall quarter.
- Graduate Division publishes a schedule of specific deadline dates for Summer degrees at the end of each Spring quarter.
- The Summer degree deadline is the last Friday of Summer Session II (usually in early September).