Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Program
The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Program provides 6-12 months of funding for doctoral candidates to immerse themselves in dissertation research abroad. The fellow may visit more than one country during the grant period. This fellowship is for the 2017-2018 school year.
Fulbright-Hays at a Glance:
- Estimated Range of Awards: $15,000 to $60,000
- Estimated Average Size of Awards: $33,461
- Estimated Number of Awards: 98
- Dissertation research should be focused on certain regions
- Priority preference is given to those applicants who focus on Priority Languages
- Priority preference is also given to applicants who's research focuses on thematic academic fields
A student is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she is:
- a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States
- is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution
- is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation
- Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.
For more information on eligibility visit the agency’s website
Because the Fulbright-Hays DDRA application must be submitted by the applicant’s institution on the applicants behalf, Graduate Division sets internal deadlines to accommodate the growing number of applicants. These internal deadlines allow time for the Graduate Fellowship Advisor and the Dean of Graduate Division to review the application prior to the agency submission deadline. Both the advisor and the dean must approve the applicant’s submission materials before a final submission is made to the agency.
Internal Deadline for Fulbright-Hays DDRA for the 2017 fiscal year
March 1st, 2017 by 3:00 p.m.
*all application materials should be in final form and uploaded into the
G5 application system by the internal deadline
Agency Deadline for Fulbright-Hays DDRA for the 2017 fiscal year
March 14th, 2017
The following items are required for submission:
- Application Narrative— 10 page limit
- Bibliography— 2 page limit (not counted in application narrative page limit)
- Curriculum Vita— tailor resume with relevant experience related to your proposal
- Language Reference Form— the reviewer will submit this online
- Three letters of recommendation— 1 of these reference letters must be from applicant’s advisor
- Three to five letters of affiliation from contacts and/or institutions in host country—letters from researchers, professors, experts in the field who are in the applicant’s host country who are willing to aid the student if awarded
- Official transcripts—including undergrad and any other graduate student coursework
- IRB narrative
- Page Limits
- View the opportunity announcement in its entirety here
For all of the required materials, all attachments and submitted forms must follow Fulbright-Hays DDRA formatting guidelines and page limits. If the application exceeds the page limit, the submission will be rejected.
- A “page” is 8.5″ × 11″, on one side only
- One inch margins at the top, bottom, both sides, and must be portrait orientation.
- Size 12 font or larger, 10 font can ONLY be used in charts, footnotes, graphs, etc.
- Acceptable fonts: Times New Roman, Courier, Courier New, or Arial. An application submitted in any other font (including Times Roman or Arial Narrow) will not be accepted.
- Your application will be rejected if you exceed the page limit
UCSD graduate students must apply for the DDRA program through UCSD. Applicants will be using Fulbright-Hays’ online application site G5 for submission. Applicant’s will attach their application to the UCSD Fulbright-Hays DDRA Project Director, Michelle Monroy, on G5 application site.
No email submissions will be accepted.
Please contact the Graduate Fellowship Advisor at 858-822-2938 or email@example.com for more information.