UC San Diego SearchMenu

General Application Questions

How does the admissions process work at UC San Diego?

Applicants for graduate study at UC San Diego fill out an online application at gradapply.ucsd.edu.  Required documents, including transcripts, statements of purpose, supplementary information, and department-specific materials, are uploaded by the applicant to the online application. For more information about the application process please use the following link Admissions Requirements and Procedures.

Applicants interested in attending UC San Diego School of Medicine, Skaggs School of Pharmacy, or Rady School of Management should contact their school of interest directly for information on how to apply.

Can I apply to more than one program?

Yes. You may apply to more than one program or major at UC San Diego. You may not apply to more than one program within the same department.

Your application fee or fee waiver will allow you to submit an application to as many as three programs during the same application cycle.

Submit your first application with the fee or fee waiver. For additional applications, re-enter the application website with your same username and password. Click on “Create new Application”. Change the major code and other information for the new department/major. Review and complete subsequent applications carefully. Application questions and requirements may vary by departments/majors.

After completing the additional application(s), click on submit. You will not be asked to pay the application fee for the additional application(s).

Can I submit a paper application?

No. The Graduate Admissions Office requires all applicants to use the online application.

I want to begin courses immediately. Does UC San Diego admit students every quarter?

The majority of departments admit students for the fall quarter only with applications typically submitted one year in advance. For admission information specific to your department of interest, please visit the department’s website.

Does UC San Diego allow students to design their own graduate program?

No.  However, UC San Diego does offer an interdisciplinary program through the Communications, Philosophy, History and Sociology departments.  For more information regarding that program, please visit the Science Study Program webpage.

I already have a Masters or PhD. Can I apply for a duplicate degree?

Normally, duplication of advanced academic degrees—MA, MS, PhD—is not permitted. A duplicate academic degree is one at the same level (e.g., a second master’s degree or second PhD), regardless of the discipline or the specialization awarding the degree. A professional degree at the master’s or doctoral level (e.g., AuD, DMA, EdD, MAS, MBA, MEd, MEng, MF, MFA, MIA, MPIA, MD, PharmD) is not regarded as a duplicate of an academic degree.

Students who already hold an advanced academic degree may be admitted to UC San Diego to pursue a second advanced academic degree at the same level only under limited circumstances, and only with the consent of the Graduate Council.

If you hold an advanced degree and are unsure if it is at the same level as the degree for which you will be applying, please email us at gradadmissions@ucsd.edu.

Does UC San Diego have a transfer policy for graduate students?

No, there is no separate application for students interested in transferring to UCSD from another institution. You will need to use the online application . It is recommended that you contact your department of interest before applying.

Can I transfer some of my credits to UC San Diego?

Please refer to our policy on Transferring Credits.

Does UC San Diego give conditional admission for international students?

No. International students must meet the university’s minimum requirements which include a passing TOEFL score to be admitted. Refer to our Admissions Policies for more information.

Can I enroll in individual graduate courses without being an admitted graduate student?

It may be possible to enroll in individual graduate level courses through UC San Diego Extension’s Concurrent Enrollment program. 
Please visit the UC San Diego Extension website or call (858) 534-3400 for more information.

I will be applying to medical/veterinarian school and need to strengthen my background. Does UC San Diego offer any non-degree programs for students in my situation?

Yes, the Biology department offers a non-degree program. Please visit their website at http://biology.ucsd.edu/education/grad/non-degree.html

Did you get my application?

You can check the status of your application by returning to the application website and logging in to your account.  If your application status says “Submitted”, then your application has been received.

How can I check my application status?

You can check your status by logging onto https://gradapply.ucsd.edu/.

If I decide not to submit my application, how can I delete it?

The application cannot be deleted. As long as you do not submit your application, the department will not be able to review it.

How long will it take to make a decision on my application?

This varies by department. Applications are reviewed at the departmental level by admissions committees. Most decisions will be made by April 15th, but it is not guaranteed. Some departments include information regarding the status of their decision process on their website. Departments recommend applicants for admission to the Dean of the Graduate Division. 

The official notification of admission will come from the Graduate Admissions office which acts on behalf of the Dean of the Graduate Division.  It can take up to 2 weeks to process the department nomination paperwork.  Please be patient. Your Application Status page will update as soon as a decision has been made.

How will I be notified of the decision?

Once a decision has been made, an email will be sent from the Dean of the Graduate Division to the email address provided in the application. The email will direct you to the decision letter. Please note that the decision cannot be given over the telephone. To view your decision status on-line, please log into your account at https://gradapply.ucsd.edu/.

What kind of financial assistance does UC San Diego offer?

Please refer to the link below for more information regarding financial assistance.


How do I find out if I am qualified to receive a fellowship?

Financial support is determined by the department to which you are admitted.  Their contact information can be retrieved from https://ga.ucsd.edu/graduate_programs/

I received my Master's degree from UC San Diego and now I would like to apply to a PhD program. What is the process?

Contact the department you are considering. They will assist you through the readmission process. Since you have already attended UC San Diego as a registered graduate student, do not apply using the online application. This is for initial admission to UC San Diego only.