UC San Diego SearchMenu

Admitted Student Questions

Every department has different deadlines and timelines for reviewing applications. Once a decision has been made on your application you will be notified by e-mail. You can also check the status of your application on GradApply

I just accepted the offer of admission, what do I do next?

Please see the Admitted Student page for your next steps.  

My admit status is "Provisional". What does that mean?

“Provisional” indicates that there are documents or requirements that are still pending in order to complete the admission process. You are officially admitted and can register for your first quarter classes.  However, failure to provide the required documentation will result in a hold on future registration.

I've been offered admission to UC San Diego. When is the deadline to submit my decision?

Decision deadlines may vary by department or program. Below you will find decision guidelines:

  • Fall Quarter:
    For applicants admitted before March 25, the Graduate Intent to Register decision is due by April 15th. Applicants admitted after March 25th must submit the decision within three weeks of the date printed on the Certificate of Admission.
  • Winter, Spring and Summer Quarters:
    The Graduate Intent to Register is due within three weeks of the date printed on the Certificate of Admission

Can I extend the deadline for my admission decision?

Contact the department to which you applied to request an extension. 

Does UC San Diego permit admitted students to defer?

Applicants who are admitted but are unable to register for the quarter to which they were admitted, may request to defer admission to the following year or another quarter within the same academic year.  The department must pre-approve the deferral request. A deferral is not a guarantee of admission for a later term. The deferred application will be considered along with the next year's applicant pool.

To activate the application for admission in the subsequent quarter or academic year, the applicant must notify the department and submit a Statement of Activities and official transcripts for any academic work taken since the original application was submitted.  No application fee will be required.

Deferred application files are retained for approximately one year from the quarter to which the applicant was admitted.  Deferred applicants are allowed one reactivation of the application.

Department contact information can be obtained from the following link: https://ga.ucsd.edu/graduate_programs/

Does UC San Diego permit admitted students to decline even after accepting admission?

Yes, you may decline after accepting admission.  The application site will not allow you to change your decision from “Accept” to “Decline”, so you must contact your department directly to inform them of the change in your decision.

What do you mean by "official" transcript?

Official transcripts bear the signature of the authorized official of the issuing institution, the seal of the institution, and are received by our office in a sealed envelope from the institution.  You can either bring the unopened transcripts into the office or have your institution(s) mail them to UC San Diego directly at the following address:

University of California, San Diego
Graduate Division
Student Services Center (SSC), 4th floor
Mail Code 0003
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, California 92093-0003

What if my school does not provide another official transcript?

If that is the case, we require a letter from the institution stating that only one transcript can be issued. You can then send a copy of the original transcript to the school and ask them to stamp and sign it, and return it to us in a school-sealed envelope.

I obtained my undergraduate degree from UC San Diego. Am I required to submit all of my official transcripts again?

Yes. The Registrar cannot give us the transcripts you provided to them as they are a required part of your permanent undergraduate record. We will need official copies of all transcripts for your graduate record.  We will accept either official hard-copy or electronic transcripts from the UC San Diego Registrar.

Does my degree certificate/diploma also have to be in a school-sealed envelope?

If you are providing copies issued by the school, they must have a school stamp for verification and must also be in a school sealed envelope. However, you may bring us your unsealed, original degree certificate/diploma and we will make a true copy of it for your file.

My school will not issue my degree certificate/diploma until a year after graduation. What can I do in the meantime?

Ask your school to provide a letter explaining the cause of delay regarding the issuing of your degree certificate/diploma.

How do I apply for a student visa?

Submit the I-20 or DS-2019 request through the iPortal. Sign on using your UC San Diego Personal ID (PID) to access the iPortal. The iPortal application will help determine what is the appropriate visa and status for you. 

If you have questions about the I-20 or DS-2019 Certificates of Eligibility please view see the International Center.